Opens in a new tab

Tony's Blogbach, Between the Isobars

Thoughts from Tony Laubach on Weather, Chasing, and the Patterns in Between.

Wheels Up for Friday into Next Week

May 14, 2026 | Forecast Thoughts

The May-a-Thon Adventure begins Friday… today I’ll be eastbound toward KC and that leaves me sitting pretty to kick things off tomorrow afternoon. Low-end setup with models back and forth on daytime development north of KC. Saturday begins the ramp up, with Sunday and Monday on paper the headliners.

Busy stretch… but excited to be back at it.  See ya under a storm… if not Friday, then most likely Saturday haha

The May-a-Thon To Commence This Weekend

After a relatively quiet start to May, things are looking to pick back up.  SPC has already highlighted both weekend days, and it would not shock me to see additional outlooks starting as early as Friday and continuing well into next week.  I will likely deploy for the weekend setups, and once out, will remain out until a series of down days take hold.  The pattern is definitely shifting into active May mode, and thus we may be looking at a trip involving a laundry day haha

Tomorrow is a car day… I took a rock to the windshield that’s now got a growing crack.  Fortunately my Ascent purchase included a once-a-year windshield replacement for road debris (NOT hail), so I get to NOT spend $1,500 to get that replaced tomorrow.  If hail was part of the coverage, I’d be more inclined to wait it out, but given the conditions of the agreement, it’s best I do it now.  Not sure when I took the rock impact, but I noticed it Sunday extending outside my windshield mount.  Also, my local Subaru dealership tossed me a coupon for a $30 oil change, so I’ll get that done as well just to reset ahead of this trip despite it being about 1,000 miles early.  But I am not about to pass up a local $30 oil change verses $100+ on the road, which I will easily surpass the mileage deadline within the first couple days.

Anywoo, just wanted to quick jot here while I was waiting for some things to approve for the piece I am doing today… speaking of today…

HAPPY 22 YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF THIS DAY…

Snow Again, Cause Why Not in 2026

May 11, 2026 | Winter Weather

I’ll refrain from posting this on social media, even as it would be easy clickbait… not sure I’m ready to reduce myself for that yet.  But my blog, I can do whatever I want..

Obviously this is NOT a forecast, this is NOT me saying “holy shit, snow is coming in two weeks”… this is me saying it’s 2026 and I would NOT be surprised in the least if we still had one more snow in the tank.  This far out, clearly I’m nowhere near excited to even think about the idea, but I just get a kick out of the fact that models still pump out a shot.  This would fall very well in line with how goofy a year it’s been here between 90s in March, Snow in May, historic low snow all season, virtually no severe weather season, etc.  So while I have zero faith in this scenario, I would be far from surprised if another snow were to come to the Front Range.  Again, four years ago in 2022, we saw a hefty snow on May 20-21.  So it ain’t out of the question… I guess the question would be, when was the last time we saw measurable snow TWICE in the same May?  Unlikely we say 2026…

The Spontaneous Saturday Chase That Overperformed

Saturday was a day I had on my radar for most of the week, mainly cause it was probably gonna offer up my only real chance to chase anything within a very quiet severe weather window.  Initially, I was eyeballing central Kansas, but as the day approached, the better setup started to shift further south into Oklahoma, and it just wasn’t anything I wanted to make that kind of effort for.  Briefly, I had considered the play as there was a Sunday play in north Texas, but both days looked like hail risks over anything particularly tornadic, and with me not wanting to extend myself, still kinda getting my brain right, I decided nah on both.  Until Saturday morning… I got up a bit late after making a 6am check of things to make sure I wasn’t going to lose out on a big chase day.  But the near lunch reawakening gave me some pause.  For a couple days, the HRRR had good tracks across northeast Colorado, so I decided a backyarder was in order, left about 2p, and was on storms pretty much all day.  I will have a write-up coming on this day, but bottom line was the marginal risk exceeded my very low expectations.  I ended up in Goodland at the end and made the three hour drive home, getting back in shortly before 2am.  I slept away most of Sunday haha That’s the reason I choose the hotel most times cause I was basically useless on Sunday after that.

The week looks mostly quiet, but we’ll start to see an uptick in severe weather potential toward the latter part of the week, maybe as early as Friday.  Right now, SPC has highlighted SATURDAY, the same day as the Wakita 30th Twister Anniversary, in the same area as Wakita.  I have debated on attending the celebration, but should a legit chase opportunity exist, that will probably mean I am in the area by default, so we’ll see.  As the back half of the month rolls, we should see the pattern change back to something that supports a more active stretch, so I would imagine the downtime will be closing out here this week.  I have updated my chase outlook days accordingly.

Eyeballing Central Kansas for a Low-End Chase?

May 7, 2026 | Forecast Thoughts

Very low end, probably a high-based hailer and perhaps some lightning… but it’s semi-close, and it’s on a Saturday, so I’m watching it.  This does not ring any sleeper bells, so I am literally just thinking about taking a shot on a low-key, semi-local chase that’s low stress and likely to generate SOMETHING to play with in decent chase terrain.  It’s looking pretty murky, uninspiring for chasing in the nearterm outside of this as cold fronts are crashing moisture back toward the Gulf.  Some images being circulated on social media are being a little overhyped for the general background pattern, but mesoscale accidents are always sneaky.  This is where the ‘chase every day’ mentality pays off, cause you’re already invested in being out, thus you by default plays these days.  Obviously I am a bit more selective, and distance verses risk plays heavily into my decision making, so something needs to stand out over the synoptic pattern with some notice to allow me the chance to pull those triggers.  Saturday will NOT be one of those days, I don’t think, but the idea of some low key chasing on a low-end system just feels good in my head, so we’ll see if I decide to pull the trigger.  The bottom line to this post, is yes, I am considering it, even if at less than 50% as of this entry.

Back to Blog
Blog Categories
All Posts

Tony's 10-Day Chase Outlook

TODAY OCT 10
Likely Tropical Day
>95%
Central Gulf Coast
TOMORROW OCT 11
Possible Chase Day
60%
Southeast US
MONDAY OCT 12
Possible Chase Day
40%
Southeast US
TUESDAY OCT 13
Watching
20%
TBD
WEDNESDAY OCT 14
Watching
20%
TBD
THURSDAY OCT 15
No Chase Planned
<5%
FRIDAY OCT 16
No Chase Planned
<5%
SATURDAY OCT 17
No Chase Planned
<5%
SUNDAY OCT 18
No Chase Planned
<5%
MONDAY OCT 19
No Chase Planned
<5%
Latest Facebook Posts